Go Back   fishthenation.com » TOURNAMENT FISHING, FISHING CLUBS and REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS » HIGH SCHOOL BASS FISHING
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Fishing Live Chat! Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

post #1  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Administrator

About
Maine South 2014 on Busse

Hey guys, any help appreciated. I haven't been fishing but a few times on the fox 2 weeks ago (I sucked). Mr. Z asked if we could help out his Maine South team this year, and they are on Busse this Friday in Elk Grove. I will guess water temps at 56 degrees? Bait/location ideas for us?

Last edited by fishing3; 04-23-2014 at 10:58 PM..
  post #2  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:59 PM

About
I know a few guys who have been doing well over there with traps. Seems to be the only thing working lately. Given how cold it's been, I'd be surprised if the water is that warm. I was on Deep Saturday and it was still mid-40s.
  post #3  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Administrator

About
hey buddy, thank you for the tip! few weeks back the river was 54. But, I understand it has not been that warm since then.

I wish they would run these high school tournaments 2 or 3 weeks later. It would give the kids an opportunity to catch more fish, I suspect only a few boats will catch fish, and those that do they have nice bags.
  post #4  
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM

About
Definitely. Busse is always a tough bite. We have a WCF tournament there in a few weeks, so I'll be interested to see how they do. If I had to guess, I'd think the tourney I fish out there will be a spawn deal.
  post #5  
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Administrator

About
2 weeks, they will be on beds. Dark / dirty water
  post #6  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM

About
Last year, we got second at busse south on a chatterbait bite. It was a chartreuse/bluegill zman, it gave us 3 bites all day, and we landed only 2 of them. But, that was good enough for second, and first only had 4 fish i think. But, one thing they were throwing was a black and blue jig, and they found probably the one spot that had fish and sat on it all day. This was also last year after all the flooding, so the water was all chocolate milk. But, I graduated last year, so I hope this helps!
  post #7  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM

About
black and blue craws on rocks and wood is my guess since that's what wheaton Warrenville south's been doing the last couple years

here fishy fishy fishy
  post #8  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

About
Hey guys----thanks for the heads up:-) The winning colors for us were also BLACK/BLUE!

The kids didn't have chatterbaits:-(
  post #9  
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM

About
too bad, chatter baits always destroyed for us in our sectional on the chain, but I'm glad the jig bite worked out.