Go Back   fishthenation.com » FTN RECOMMENDED or RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS ON PRODUCTS & SERVICES! » Bait Shops, Fishing Tackle and Related Services
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Fishing Live Chat! Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Bait Shops, Fishing Tackle and Related Services Do you purchase tackle from retailers or manufacturers where these guys go the xtra mile for you? Or do you have the line on a MUST HAVE lure? How about a guy whom greases/cleans reels? Fixes Rods? Have you seen a HOT NEW PRODUCT?

View Poll Results: What is the BEST POPIN' FROG ROD for thick slop?
ENTER THIS POLL AND GIVE YOUR OPINION INCLUDING MODEL# 15 93.75%
I don't fish thick slop with frogs! 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

post #1  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

About
Throwin a Slow Movin Frog? What Rod?

Ok, this past week I had my SECOND break-off with a popin' frog. This time it was with 65# Spiderwire. Needless to say......I am gonna get a new froggin' rod. I am currently using a 7' Heavy...so I can hit that fish hard. I'm only talking about a popin frog, not a swim jig or a swimmin frog where I like a softer tip.

With this in mind....a funny story about this fish. That Green Slimy stuff was on the surface....but I threw my frog on top of the weeds/green slimy stuff and was popin away.....and BAM I got hit, I set the hook....and SNAP my line broke at the reel! (I am going to look at all my eyelits and reel to see if there is a nick). Anyway....it was a tourny, and we needed that 3lb fish! I watched my line go thru the weeds as Leo hooked another fish...so I lost the line 4 minutes later the fish jumped....and my frog was like 1' away from him still on the line.....we watched the frog swim under the water and we chased it with the net and lost it. 5 min later--same thing! Fish jumped and we chased the frog....we lost it again. 4 min later---SAME FREAKIN THING! But we could never catch that damn thing! Turns out...we had 2 fish, and lost that 3rd, we would've been in top 2 for sure. Oh well.
  post #2  
Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM

About
Send a message via AIM to James
Go 80# braid!

I use a MH Kistler, but it is softer than your average MH. No major problems, and im using 50# PP. The only downside to it is that the guides on it suck, and the eyelets pop out pretty easily. I havent noticed any fray on my braid, or lost any fish because of it. And the eyelets have only popped out when using braid

the exact model number is KFGS73, its a few years old, so i dont know how easy it is to find anymore

Sponsors
McDonald's
Dr Thunder
The Giron!!!

"Boats & Ho's"
  post #3  
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM

About
I'm not too picky with frog rods, I have 2 rods that I use for froggn, and both I also use for other tecniques including swimjigs, and topwater. I use the st. scroix triumph rods, and the st.croix avids, both in mh models. I do set the hook pretty hard, so i think the fast tip helps a bit with that. As for line breakage, I have had a guide go bad on me, but just by replacing the guide has helped.

I have never used a kistler rod, but from watching alex, james, and creighton, I will never buy one, just for the fact of the guides being poorly made. I've only had to replace one guide on a rod, and it was an avid medium heavy with a moderate action tip, and I think the reason was, because the rod wasn't rated for such a heavy of line.

here fishy fishy fishy
  post #4  
Old 09-05-2009, 07:02 PM

About
Send a message via AIM to Nitroman77
Go longer, better line pickup and leverage..Dobyns champ 735C or the 766c if you need a beefier rod..Ive got 3, 735s and one is only used for frogs and the same rod that killed them up on the Miss pool..The nice thing is it has a soft tip to fling baits a mile or make accurate casts. You dont need a sensitive rod (champs are plenty sensitive), but a balanced lite rod is always a plus. I find a rod that is to stiff will snap line easier then a rod that has a soft tip and all back bone..Oh and get RID OF SPIDERWIRE!

PROSTAFFs Include:
http://www.THreeltuningandcleaning.com/
SEAGUAR LINE
DUO REALIS DEALER
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com/
Daiwa JDM Reels
TH Kustoms Baits
Dobyns Rods
http://www.omegacustomtackle.com/
Boca Bearings DEALER
  post #5  
Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 AM

About
I was having problems last year setting the hook and keeping it buttoned when I was using a 6'6" heavy rod. This year I bought a 7'6" Daiwa Pro, Heavy/fast action. If I set a hook, I don't lose the fish. So much more backbone and hooksetting power at long distances. I only paid $80 for it with shipping too. My only complaint is that I can't accurately one-hand cast it, and it's heavy in my hands. Here's a link to the one I bought. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
  post #6  
Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 AM

About
65# Power Pro, 7'6" to 8' Heavy rod

Mark 1:17
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
  post #7  
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 AM

About
My frog combo is the St. Croix Legend Frog/Slop matched with my Daiwa Zillion 50th anniversary 7.3:1. 65lb spiderwire ultracast. Caught countless fish on the Deps Basirisky 70. Even caught bass in water temps in the 50s with this frog. Negative about the Daiwa Zillion is that I have to tighten the screws on the reel every other time I bring it out. Or else the screws fall out. The St.Croix is the best Frog Rod I've ever owned. You can get that Bass's head turned and over the slop instantly. The Deps has a single hook. My hook-up ratio is like 8 of 10. compared to a Spro bronzeye that's 5 of 10. The negative about the Deps is that it isn't as durable as the other frogs out there. It's usually good for 2 good outings. Price is steep. I got the new ones that are $18 a piece.

Proud Member of the Corona Ice Team.
  post #8  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM

About
Try softer

Like me, you are an animal with the hook-set and should try the soft tip that you use for the swim frog, once he's on top of the slop, crank like hell with the rod tip up and you won't have any trouble. I always end up using my 7 ft Fenwick Med heavy action, plus it's light enough that I don't kill my arm from using it all day. I did try the Mojo by St Croix and hated it, after casting it for about a half an hour, it went right back to Cabelas.

post #9  
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 PM

About
1. Just act like your fishing with 12lbs mono. You must finesse it.
2. Stop watching bill dance outdoors, he sets the hook like a gorilla.
3. You are not Roland martin.
4. Try red Cajun line. I have found that to work the best. lol

Here fishy fishy fishy
  post #10  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM

About
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal006 View Post
3. You are not Roland martin.
I disagree, ive been called the roland martin of my generation

Sponsors